Sunday, June 15, 2008

The Hundredth Man by Jack Kerley

Sunday, January 06, 2008

Challenges:
Numbers
First in a Series
Book Around the States: Alabama
I'm not sure how long this book has been on my TBR list, but I managed to mooch it one day and finally got around to reading it. Truth be told, I was not expecting much so I was very pleasantly surprised. This is Kerley's debut novel and includes two detectives, Carson Ryder and Harry Nautilus. The book begins with the grizzly murder of a young man that appears to the first of a serial killing spree. Along with the solving of the first and second murders, we learn more about Carson and how he came to be a detective after only three years on the force. Carson has a PhD in psychology and no job prospects when he meets Harry who suggests he join the police force. After solving a crime that had baffled more experienced cops, Carson is promoted to detective and paired with Harry on a special pscho squad. I found the character of Carson Ryder to be a mixture of incredible intelligence, great sensitivity, huge vulnerability and an almost career-ending hostility to those in authority that he doesn't respect. Harry is a older, more experienced policeman who knows the ropes and reins in his brash partner. He is a charming mix of sarcasm, gossip-mongering, and worldliness. The murders are pretty gory, Carson's past upsetting, and a hold-on-to-your-seat rush to the ending. All in all, a great suspenseful mystery along the lines of James Patterson and Patricia Cornwall. There are two sequels and another coming out next year. I plan to read them all. Carson Ryder is a fascinating character.
Rating: 4.75
If you're interested, I'm adding this book to my Bookmooch Inventory.
Posted by Framed at 8:25 PM

4 comments:
SuziQoregon said...
Oh I'm a huge fan of Carson and even more so, Harry! So glad to see you enjoyed this one :-)
1/06/2008 8:53 PM
Joy said...
Glad you liked this, Framed. I've only read 2 out of the 4 thus far and hope to pick up another one this year.I think he's got a standalone being published in 2008. ???Don't forget to link for the First in a Series! :) (That is if you want to, no pressure, just a reminder.)
1/07/2008 7:18 AM
nessie said...
The great thing about low expectations is they usually end up being pleasent surprises. I recently purchased tons of "first in a series" to diversify my reading selection - expectations low since I chose books never recognized or heard a whisper about. To date, its been a rewarding risk! Best.
1/07/2008 9:54 PM
Literary Feline said...
I am glad to hear you enjoyed this one, Framed! I enjoy the series quite a bit.
1/08/2008 10:12 PM

No comments: