Sunday, June 15, 2008

Twilight by Stephanie Meyer

Sunday, February 03, 2008

Challenges:
Chunkster Challenge
TBR
Young Adult Challenge
First in Series
Chunkster Challenge: At 498 pages, this certainly met the criteria of a chunkster. However, it doesn't read like a huge tome. I finished it in two days. Then I read Salamander and decided to read Twilight again because I couldn't quite make up my mind how to review it. This time took three days. I liked it both times.
TBR: This book has been my TBR list for really a long time. However, it wasn't until my daughter raved about it that I started to move it up the list. I was waiting for all three books to come out in paperback and then I would buy them all. But my daughter loves me so much that she gave me Twilight in paperback for Christmas. Happy Holidays!!
Young Adult Challenge: I've enjoyed most young adult books that I have read recently. However, the first time I read Twilight, I thought the content a little too adult. That scene in the forest meadow was much more sensual (at least to me) than the explicit sex scenes that I have read in other books. Whew! And it was totally necessary for the progression of the story, unlike any other true sex scene I've read or skipped in other books. In case you're worried, there is no sex in this book, just a few kisses. Plus there is that one chapter that was very scary and violent. I expressed my concerns to a couple of colleagues and they let me know that teenagers are pretty darn knowledgeable these days. I guess I knew that. So I read it again and was completely fine with the whole book. I love the character of Bella. She doesn't really fit in with the other kids, though she tries. And what a klutz she is. How can you not love her? The amazing thing is that Edward loves her in spite of her clumsiness and her human failings. Maybe because of it. And admit it. Most women would love to have someone like Edward love us. He is so perfect. Of course, he's been around for 97 years so he's had time to become more perfect than most men. And many times girls are attracted to dangerous boys. What could be more dangerous than a vampire? There are some subtle messages that we wouldn't want to tell our young readers in case they avoid this book, but here's what I picked up: 1-Bella is willing to make sacrifices for those she loves; she moves to Forks, WA so her mom can spend more time with her new husband; she cooks for her dad without complaining; she puts her life on the line to save her family, Edward and his family. 2-Because he loves Bella, Edward is able to control his desires and urges in order to protect her and keep her safe. Of course, she would probably die if he didn't, but still the lesson of controlling urges is a good one. 3-Dang, there were a couple more that have completely left my brain. It is such a sieve. Oh well, I would recommend this book to most 14-year-olds girls up to 90-year-olds. I don't see it appealing as much to boys although there are some good lessons on how to romance a girl. One guy friend of mine objected to the theme of vampires; but most of these vampires are constantly striving to overcome their baser nature. As should we all. There's another lesson! I really didn't read this book looking for these lessons. It is a rolicking fun read that stands on its own. And it has it all: romance, suspense, adventure, and humor.
First in Series: There are two more books published in this series and another coming in the fall, I believe. I truly wish they were available in paperback; but I may have to borrow Cassie's 2nd and 3rd books even though I've heard No. 2 is not as good. It deals more with Jacob Black, a young Native American teenager who Bella befriends in Book One. He's another character I liked so I look forward to reading more about him.
Rating: 4.75
Posted by Framed at 6:57 PM

13 comments:
Maw Books said...
Ahh . . . The Twilight Series. I read this series this last fall. As I only started blogging well after that, I've been debating on whether or not to write a review on them. They certainly are popular. Especially here in Utah, as Stephenie Meyer is a BYU grad. So far I haven't actually met any teenagers reading this book. Everybody I know who loves these books are women, especially moms. I guess these books are a great escape! And guess what? Even my husband has started it.I enjoyed the entire series. Twilight was not my favorite, I thought that they got better as they went along. I own the first two and have yet to order the third. You will enjoy the next two. I'm looking forward to the fourth book although I'm not sure how she's going to extend the story. I thought the series could have ended with the third. Also very curious as to how the movie will turn out. Guess we'll have to wait and see.
2/03/2008 9:05 PM
Alyson said...
Excellent review! I'm glad you enjoyed this book...I can't believe you read it twice already!
2/03/2008 9:48 PM
gautami tripathy said...
Come, pick ypur award. It is on my poetry blog. Just clck on my name here.
2/04/2008 3:31 AM
Cassie said...
Yay!! Someone else who read it twice in a row...almost. You can totally borrow the other two books whenever you like.
2/04/2008 9:42 AM
Melissa said...
"I thought the content a little too adult. That scene in the forest meadow was much more sensual (at least to me) than the explicit sex scenes that I have read in other books."I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that... and it's why I won't let my 11yo read it. Yet. I have to admit, I'm curious about the movie, though.
2/04/2008 1:03 PM
Booklogged said...
Am I the only woman over 20 who didn't love this book?! I thought it was okay, but had no desire to reread it or to read the rest in the series. I say adult women should check out Colleen Gleason's Gardella Vampire Chronicles. I found them to be much better than the teen vampire series.
2/04/2008 4:38 PM
Framed said...
Yes, Booklogged, you are the only one. But you loved the Outlander series (it was okay) and Twilight was more romantic and shorter. Plus you loved Poisonwood Bible, need I say more? I am excited to read Colleen Gleason. I love my autographed copy.
2/04/2008 10:29 PM
Cath said...
Everyone I know seems to be reading Twilight so I think I'd better get a copy and get reading because it sounds like I'm missing something! Need to finish what I'm reading first though, which is, oddly enough, The Poisonwood Bible. :-)
2/05/2008 1:05 AM
Andrea said...
I couldn't have put it better myself! I didn't review this book because I didn't think I could do it justice, but you did a wonderful job of it.
2/05/2008 9:12 AM
Andrea said...
This post has been removed by the author.
2/05/2008 9:12 AM
Katie Michelle said...
I'm very happy that you liked it. I love this book, and the other two. I'm very excited for the Fall when the fourth book, Breaking Dawn, will be coming out. I am also looking forward to...well, I don't know when, but the author is also making a fifth book called Midnight Sun. It is Twilight through Edward's eyes. You can read the first chapter on Stephenie Meyer's website:http://stepheniemeyer.com/otherprojects_midnightsun.htmlYou'll have to scroll down and find the link. If you are going to read it, (which I suggest. It's hilarious!) then make sure to give yourself plenty of time. It is a full chapter, and her chapters tend to run about 10-12 pages long. So, give yourself a few minutes. Glad you enjoyed it!
2/08/2008 2:16 PM
April said...
I have this one as well as the 2nd and 3rd in the series and can't wait to read it/them! I have my copy listed as part of the Chunkster Challege also - so it works out well, lol.
2/08/2008 8:44 PM
Virginie said...
Hi! I read the series last year, and to be honest I was so hooked that aftr the third I couldn't read anything else, so I just read the three books again;o)

No comments: