Sunday, July 13, 2008

The Chase by Clive Cussler

Monday, February 25, 2008

Recommended by a co-worker
This is the second book lent to me by my friend at work. He really raved about this one. And I can see why. The Chase is a great cops-and-robbers book set in 1906 and 1907. There is no mystery as to who is going around the West robbing banks and cold-bloodedly killing all witnesses. At least to the reader. None of the lawmen can find him as he seemingly disappears into thin air. Finally, the government hires the Van Dorn Detective Agency who brings in its top agent, Isaac Bell. Bell is tall, lanky and absurdly handsome with his icy blue-violet eyes. But is he good enough to catch the sociopathic killer who is a mastermind criminal? Following the two as they circle around each other in several western locales including Salt Lake City and San Francisco was just great fun. Bell seems to be a step behind all the time and the Butcher Bandit always gets away. The net closes in on the thief in San Franciso until the huge earthquake and fire puts another obstacle in Bell's path. The ending involves a break-neck locomotive chase across the Sierra's and the western desert to reach a titanic conclusion. There is some great historical facts included in the book especially dealing with the railroad companies and the San Francisco earthquake. Having said all that, I have to add that the romance in this book was some of the dumbest stuff I've ever read. And there are a few corny dialogues thrown in along the way. It reminded me a bit of Dudley Do-right, Snidely Whiplash, and Nell. Maybe Cussler intended the book to be a bit tongue-in-cheek. Judging from his author's picture on the back cover, he seems to have a wicked sense of humor. Anyway, aside from those small distractions, I thought it was a terrific adventure to read and I plan to read more of his books.
Rating: 4
Posted by Framed at 7:50 PM

7 comments:
SuziQoregon said...
I think of Cusslers books as definitely tongue in cheek swashbuckler style adventures. Part comic book, part Errol Flynn movie.Just fun escapism.
2/25/2008 9:46 PM
Booklogged said...
Sounds fun. I'm always good for a humorous cop/robber story.
2/26/2008 12:53 PM
gautami tripathy said...
I like such books. Makes for verylight read. Thanks!
2/27/2008 3:07 AM
Tristi Pinkston said...
Hey there,For some reason, your e-mail won't let me talk to you! So I'm gonna have to do it this way!I'm doing a virtual book tour in April and wonder if you'd like to be one of the stops. I would send you a copy of the book and you'd choose a day to review it, and on that day, I'd send you a lot of traffic. Let me know if you are interested -- tristi AT tristipinkston.com
2/28/2008 8:59 AM
She Became a Butterfly said...
i found you via the tbr challenge!a friend and i just started a book lovers message board. we'd love for you to join!edenhttp://www.re-told.net
2/28/2008 2:58 PM
Tristi Pinkston said...
Your first e-mail didn't work for me, so come rescue me from your spam filter on the other one, okay? :)
2/28/2008 8:44 PM
Nicola said...
Now you've got me interested! Sounds fun.
3/01/2008 7:33 AM

No comments: