Sunday, July 13, 2008

Eclipse by Stephanie Meyer

Monday, February 18, 2008

Challenge:
Young Adult Challenge
From front book cover: As Seattle is ravaged by a string of mysterious killings and a malicious vampire continues her quest for revenge, Bella once again find herself surrounded by danger. In the midst of it all, she is forced to choose between her love for Edward and her friendship with Jacob--knowing that her decision has the potential to ignite the ageless struggle between vampire and werewofe. With her graduation quickly approaching, Bella has one more decision to make: life or death. But which is which?
This book answered some of my questions from New Moon. It was good to see Bella realize some of the uglier aspects of vampirism that she has over looked in her consuming need to be just like Edward. And that decision is still pending. The conflict with the rogue vampire is resolved in another gripping and violent scene. Edward really is an oustanding character, very mature (he is 97 years old though he looks seventeen) and very selfless in his love for Bella. Bella is still pretty whiny and I don't quite get the whole thing with Jacob. I really like the character of Jacob, but can't quite buy the fact that Bella seems so torn between the two guys. I use the term loosely; one's a vampire and the other a werewolf. In "Eclipse," Meyer incorporates some great humor while describing the conflict between the vampires and the werewolves. I laughed at how they can't stand the way the other smells. And reading about Jacobs's and Edward's attempts to get the edge on Bella and their under-handed tricks was darn funny. Of course, Edward has the advantage so he's pretty smug and I even liked that. Like the previous novels in this series, "Eclipse" is a very intense book; the emotions, the suspense even the setting is intense. As ever, a very enjoyable and hard-to-put-down read. I can't believe I have to wait so long for Book Four.
Rating: 4.5
Posted by Framed at 1:38 PM

11 comments:
Maw Books said...
I always preferred Jacob over Edward. August does sound a long way off. I know they are doing a midnight release party at The King's English Bookshop in SLC. Reminds me so much of Harry Potter. I may end up going . . .
2/18/2008 4:51 PM
Cassie said...
I'm so glad you liked the series. The rivalry between Jacob and Edward was pretty funny but it drove me to dislike Jacob even more. I don't understand why people prefer him but that's me.
2/19/2008 9:44 AM
Suey said...
My favorite scene was in the tent, with Jacob acting as a space heater and Edward listening to all his thoughts. I thought it was hillarious!
2/19/2008 5:36 PM
Tristi Pinkston said...
Framed, would you please e-mail me? tap AT tristipinkston.com
2/19/2008 10:33 PM
Bookfool said...
Everyone seems to prefer Jacob. I've only read the first book, so I'm anxious to meet him, so to speak. It'll probably be a while. :)
2/20/2008 8:31 PM
Framed said...
Suey, that was the scene I was thinking about when I wrote my review. As for Jacob vs Edward. I like Jacob a lot, he's easier for me to relate to, but Edward is, well, the total guy. Romantic, caring, thoughtful, sensitive and just plain hot. (Not temperature-wise. In fact, I find that his biggest fault. I could never cuddle with a stone-cold vampire.) Anyway, I'm rooting for Edward and I'm sure in Book Four, Jacob will find someone to imprint on. (Read the book to learn more about imprinting.)
2/20/2008 9:06 PM
April said...
I can't wait to read this series! I really need to just sit down and dig into it. It sounds so good and so many have said such great things about the books!
2/23/2008 5:12 PM
Stephanie said...
I really enjoy all the books in this series, although Twilight is still my favorite.
2/26/2008 10:47 AM
Alix said...
Great review. I laughed out loud a lot too. Although I did find Edward's constant nobleness annoying after a bit. So I was leaning towards Jacob and I kind of thought Jacob had imprinted on Bella. Maybe I got that wrong though.
2/29/2008 8:41 AM
Em said...
Thanks for commenting on my blog awhile back...sorry for taking so long to visit yours. I'm glad I did! :)I agree with you about the whole Bella being torn between the two guys thing. I just hope that Jacob imprints on someone else SOON.I added your blog to my google reader so I'll be dropping in from time to time. :)
3/04/2008 9:08 PM
Thea said...
Wow, I have to say this is the first place I've been that shows some love for Jacob! I am a huge Jacob fan and prefer him to Edward, probably for the main reason that Jacob does not need or desire Bella to change her very essence to be with her (the relationship w/ Edward IMO is terribly unhealthy as Bella needs to give up everything and everyone she loves to be with him...what kind of message is that to send YA readers?). I loved New Moon and Eclipse, and I find that Bella's struggle in these two books to be realistic (well, so far as realism extends to a vamp and a werewolf lol!) and endearing. Is it August yet? :p
3/16/2008 1:55 AM

No comments: