Sunday, July 13, 2008

Playing for Pizza by John Grisham

Monday, February 25, 2008

Recommended by a co-worker
A few months ago, a co-worker asked me to lend him a few books as he had decided to start reading more and keep the TV off. So I did. When I later asked how he liked them, he was only half-way through one and not liking it at all. Then he proceeded to tell me all about the books he was reading that were absolutely fantastic. He returned two of the three books along with three he thought I absolutely must read. Jeez, I must have forgotten to tell him about the piles of unread books around my house. (He knows now so I probably won't be getting any more must-reads for a while.) I always get a little panicked when I borrow a book because I'm afraid I will forget where I got it and even that it's not mine if it hangs around the house too long. So I pushed all the challenges aside and started with this book.
*****
I had noticed Playing for Pizza a while ago but had dedided against it as I'm not much of a Grisham fan. His legal thrillers seem to follow a formula that bothered me for some reason. But Pizza is not a legal thriller, far from it. In fact, the whole premise is very amusing. Rick Dockery is probably the worst quarterback in the NFL; and. in one fateful playoff game, he proves it by throwing three interceptions in eleven minutes, blowing a 17 point lead and costing his team their first chance at the Superbowl. He wakes up in the hospital with a concussion and swarms of angry fans trying to get to his room with murder on their minds. Of course, he is finished as an NFL player, but not ready to give up his football dream. Somehow, he ends up quarterbacking a semi-pro team in Parma, Italy. The coach and the rest of the team are a great bunch of characters, and the food and wine in this city are almost as important to the plot as the game itself. If there is way too many football plays described, I suppose it is only to be expected. (sigh) Still, this was a light, fun book with a good-looking ,klutzy hunk as its hero. Not a bad reason to read a book at all.
Rating: 3.75
Posted by Framed at 7:33 PM

4 comments:
Booklogged said...
I think I can pass on a football themed book. It's great that you're reading some of your coworker's suggestions. I'm curious as to what you lent him that he didn't like.
2/26/2008 12:56 PM
Much Ado said...
Hmm, this sounds like a Grisham book I might like to read! Great review.
3/01/2008 2:51 AM
writer2b said...
I know what you mean about Grisham. Sometimes it seems like he's writing for the screen, and imagining certain actors and actresses... But this one sounds different. Thanks for the review.
3/01/2008 4:56 AM
Megan said...
I decided to buy this book after seeing it on your blog. Hope it was worth my $1.50 :P
3/11/2008 6:52 PM

1 comment:

Heather Moore said...

Definitely a fun book. Just wished it was longer and more developed.