Saturday, August 16, 2008

Book of a Thousand Days by Shannon Hale

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Challenges:
Twisted Fairy Tales
Royalty Rules
I truly believe every time I read a book by Shannon Hale, it becomes my favorite Hale book. And this one is no different. The main premise is taken from a little-known Grimm's fairy tale that Hale embellishes and adds to and completely makes her own. Telling the story through the journal entries of a servant girl, Dashti, locked up for seven year in a tower with her shallow and selfish royal mistress, Saren, is an interesting literary device. Of course, the servant is resourceful and brave; refreshingly grateful for the seven-year's supply of food which mean she will not starve. During the course of the two girls' captivity, Dasti meets two completely different men who want to claim the princess for their own. Tegus is young, sensitive and wise while Khasar is one of those deliciously evil, mean villains that you absolutely love to hate. Hale writes just as beautifully in this book as in all her others. Here are a few examples:
"The air is so clear, it shivers," he said. "All the stars are out, everyone, even the babies. It's so bright with stars, the blacks of the sky look a dark, dark, blue."
"I'm in love! My heart's so light it floats and carries me so my feet don't walk. I sing all day and I don't mind the washing, and that's how I know I'm in love. Completely smitten with My Lord that cat." Of course the cat is a gift snuck into the tower by Tegus.
"I thought I knew winter, but from inside this tower I've learned something new--the winter wind has its own voice. Autumn wind has a gusty warmmth to it and a lower tone as though it sings from deep in the belly. The winter wind screeches around the tower, singing the high harmony, its voice sharp with ice.
I never hesitate to recommend Shannon Hale's books because they are so well-written and creative.
Rating: 5
Posted by Framed at 8:32 PM

11 comments:
Maw Books said...
I'm glad you enjoyed this one! Still waiting for Princess Academy. I think I'm close to the top of the list now.
3/12/2008 9:02 PM
Joy said...
Horray! Another great review of Hale! I'm going to get to this one soon.
3/13/2008 6:43 AM
Suey said...
I second everything you say about Shannon Hale, her writing, her books... everything. One of my favorites for sure!
3/13/2008 9:05 AM
Cassie said...
Ooh this sounds so good. I might need to move this to the top of the list even though I've had a hankering to read Austenland again.
3/13/2008 11:06 AM
Nymeth said...
I can't wait to try this author...sounds like a wonderful book!
3/13/2008 2:36 PM
Trish said...
I just read a review of this book (actually, I think it was Maw Books' review). I love fairytales retold!
3/13/2008 5:28 PM
raidergirl3 said...
I can't wait to read something by Hale. I have The Princess Academy and I think I'll read it in the car on the way to visit my sister. I'm excited now after your glowing rec.
3/14/2008 6:25 AM
Stephanie said...
So far I've only read one of Hale's books, but can't wait to start another. Thanks for the recommendation.
3/14/2008 7:12 AM
Nicola said...
Can you believe I haven't ready anything by her yet! This sounds so good, I must read it soon.
3/14/2008 10:28 AM
writer2b said...
I've never read anything by Shannon Hale, but this makes me want to. Thanks.
3/15/2008 10:50 AM
Booklogged said...
I just read this one last month. And, like you, I loved it. I remember those quotes you shared. I'm reading River Secrets right now and one of the characters is Dashi. I had to do a double take because I thought the servant girl was Dashi, too. But no, it was Dashti. Still that's awfully close for two different characters in two different Hale books, isn't it?

No comments: