Sunday, August 17, 2008

My Antonia by Willa Cather

Thursday, March 20, 2008

Challenges
Decades (1910's)
What's in a Name (First Name)
Book Around the States (Nebraska)
To Be Read
Decades: This book was one the really made a name for Cather when it was published in 1918, as she focused her talents on a place and people that she was so familiar with. Her book on the immigrants who settled the vast plains on Nebraska helped change Americans' taste for reading about the people who formed the backbone of the country.
What's in a Name: Jim Burden, the narrator of the story, first meets Antonia on the train moving toward Black Hawk, Nebraska. He is ten and Antonia is fourteen. Jim is an orphan joinging his grandparents; and Antonia is coming from Bohemia with her family. Jim tells the story of the settling of Nebraska while following the life of Antonia.
Book Around the States: Cather describes life in Nebraska beautifully as well as the rolling plains, the harsh climate, and the prairie grass. She really makes the land a main character of the book and you feel a part of the terrain.
To Be Read: I'm not sure how this book got on my list or on my shelves, but I really felt I should read a book or two by Willa Cather. Now I have read two and there's a couple more that I want to read. There is nothng earth-shattering about this story, but it has a quiet calm that reaches out to you and pulls you into the lives of the characters. Antonia is a very compelling, strong woman who makes mistakes as she grows up; but remains a portrait of the American woman. I love the way Jim tells the story as a young boy and how his narration changes as he matures.
Rating: 4
Posted by Framed at 9:58 PM

10 comments:
Les said...
This was the first book by Cather I read and I thoroughly enjoyed her descriptive prose, particularly that of the Nebraska landscape. I read it for a Great Plains Lit. class, so I think I appreciated it even more than I would have had I read it on my own. I learned a lot about Cather and went on to read several more of her novels (Death Comes for the Archbishop is one of my favorites; Song of the Lark not so much). I even spent a weekend at a Cather Conference in Red Cloud, Nebraska. Pretty neat to see where she lived and set her characters!
3/22/2008 6:23 AM
gautami tripathy said...
I have this Cather with me for very long. Never got around reading it. Must do so soon after reading your review!
3/22/2008 11:11 AM
Nicola said...
I haven't read any Cather yet, though I've always wanted to. Must get around to it soon. Thanks for the review!
3/22/2008 2:00 PM
Jeane said...
I've never read any Willa Cather either, tho I've been very familiar with the title. I really do want to read it now. Thanks for the review!
3/22/2008 2:33 PM
pussreboots said...
Interesting review. I'm also reading My Antonia for the Decades Challenge. Happy reading!
3/22/2008 9:39 PM
Maw Books said...
I read this book in high school and must admit that I can't remember anything about it. I probably should go back and read it again at some point.
3/23/2008 9:01 PM
Booklogged said...
Somewhere along the line I was turned off to Willa Cather. Probably 7th or 8th grade English class in Lincoln. Since then I've read a couple of hers that I've really liked: Death Comes for the Archbishop and Shadow on the Rocks. I don't have a 1910 book for the Decade Challenge so maybe I'll read this one.
3/23/2008 10:28 PM
Tristi Pinkston said...
I didn't care for Death/Archbishop, but I really enjoyed "O, Pioneers." That's my favorite Cather. I did also really like "The Song of the Lark." I guess I'm exactly opposite from Les. :)
3/30/2008 12:17 AM
Trish said...
I really like how you've formatted this review based on the challenges it fits--interesting concept. I don't think I've read this one, but I remember reading O, Pioneers years ago.
3/31/2008 11:12 AM
Trish said...
I really like how you've formatted this review based on the challenges it fits--interesting concept. I don't think I've read this one, but I remember reading O, Pioneers years ago.
3/31/2008 11:12 AM

No comments: