Sunday, August 17, 2008

The Magic Circle by Donna Jo Napoli

Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Challenges
Twisted Fairy Tales
Once Upon a time Challenge
The Magic Circle is a retelling of the fairy tale, Hansel and Gretel, as told from the witch's point of view. The Ugly One was a skilled midwife who supported her vey beautiful daughter with her talents. One day a neighbor convinces her to become a healer which involves casting out devils. After nine years, the Ugly One makes a fatal error and the devils are able to posses her and turn her into a witch. In one fell swoop, this woman, who previously worshipped God and did everything in his name, is forced to flee, leave her home and daughter; and hide in an enchanted forest where she can do no harm to human beings. No longer can she pray or care for another person. She becomes a vegetarian to avoid eating flesh and creates a home made from candy. At this point, Hansel and Gretel enter the story, but even this is a twist from the orignal tale. This is quite a short book, 118 pages, but there is quite a story here. I really didn't like it until the last fourth. It was so unfair that the Ugly One could live such a good life and be changed into a witch with one mistake. And this mistake cost her her good deeds, her family, and all human contact. But Napoli ends the book on such an uplifting and hopeful note that it really redeems all the other problems. I love the way she handled the whole Hansel and Gretel encounter. I'm looking forward to reading more books by this author.
Rating: 4
Posted by Framed at 7:16 PM

13 comments:
Jeane said...
Now that one sounds really interesting! I like retold fairy tales that give the usual villan's side of the story (like Wicked did).
4/01/2008 8:02 PM
Booklogged said...
I might identify too much with the Ugly One by the sounds of it. Poor dear. Really it sounds pretty good.
4/01/2008 9:55 PM
Nicola said...
This sounds really interesting! I'll have to look for this one.
4/02/2008 7:27 AM
Cassie said...
That sounds interesting. Hold on to that one for me.
4/02/2008 8:32 AM
Nymeth said...
It's funny, until recently I had not even heard of Napoli, but now I keep coming across reviews like this, that make me want to read all her books.
4/02/2008 1:47 PM
Rhinoa said...
I keep hearing great things about this author and have a couple of her books now put aside to read when I get a chance now. Thanks for the review.
4/02/2008 3:11 PM
Stephanie said...
I have never read a book by Napoli before, but I have a couple of my TBR. This one sounds really good. I have a feeling the Once Upon a Time Challenge is going to play hell on my TBR pile!!
4/02/2008 4:50 PM
simran said...
I totally enjoy these kinds of supernatural, fantastical books. Kindly review a few more of this type. Although I'd highly recommend the Chronicles of Narnia by CS Lewis as a great read for those who want to go into a parallel world. The author's imagination and creativity never cease to amaze me. Although most might think that they are for children.,I think most adults would also enjoy reading them. In fact, Disney is coming up with the latest Narnia movie-Prince Caspian, this May 16th. It promises to be awesome by the looks of the trailor. Catch the trailor here- http://www.disney.in
4/03/2008 12:48 PM
Carl V. said...
That is fun, telling it from her point of view. Sounds like the book rewards sticking with it and that it has a worthwhile ending. Glad you ended up enjoying it.
4/04/2008 12:30 AM
Rachael said...
What an interesting perspective for a retelling. I enjoyed your review and I'm intrigued enough to read the book. Thanks for the review!
4/04/2008 9:16 AM
Trish said...
Oooh, sounds like a fun read! I love when authors play with perspectives and the "untold" sides of stories. Thanks for the review.
4/06/2008 10:09 AM
DesLily said...
I'm noticing that an awful lot of the books being read this year for Carl's challenge are "retold fairytales".. this seems a little strange to me. I just don't remember hearing of so many as I am this year... glad you enjoyed this one though!!
4/06/2008 12:22 PM
Mo said...
WoW...this sounds like just my kinda thing, and I've never even heard of this author - thanks for the great review, I'll have to check this out! (Luv the new layout here, too, BTW)

No comments: