Monday, January 19, 2009

The Changeling by Zilpha Keatley Snyder


August 3, 2008
Challenges
Decades Challenge - 1970
Young Adult Challenge
Book Awards Challenge - Christopher Medal
When I read The Egypt Game, I knew I wanted to read more books by Snyder. She writes wonderful young adult books without talking down to the reader. I liked The Changeling even more than Egypt. The book follows Martha Abbott from the age of six when she is a over-weight, withdrawn, and scared six-year-old until she is sixteen. Along the way, Martha develops a close friendship with Ivy Carson, another social outcast. Martha is an outcast because of her personality and Ivy because of her family's rough reputation and low economic status and her confident individuality. They cement their friendship by playing imaginative games that Ivy usually instigates. Through the years, Martha finds herself crying less, becoming more active and more confident. The lessons about being yourself and being true to your family and friends are not subtle, but presented as a natural progression of the story. It's a wonderful book, well-written and both Martha and Ivy are outstanding characters. I especially liked Martha's brother, Tom, who is handsome and popular, and a really good kid. Excellent reading.
Rating: 4.75
Posted by Framed at 9:34 PM

3 comments:
Stephanie said...
Oh...this sounds really good! A definite must when I go to the library! A 4.75...that's pretty good!
8/09/2008 11:14 AM
Rhinoa said...
Sounds like a fun and interesting book. Thanks for the review as I had never heard of it or the author!
8/10/2008 4:28 AM
Charley said...
This sounds good. I work at a children's bookshop, so I'm always looking for new books for young readers. Thanks for this review.

No comments: