Monday, January 19, 2009

Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

August 21, 2008

Challenges
Classics
19th Century AuthorsI have finally finished the entire Jane Austen canon. Even though I watched the Emma Thompson movie version, I had never read the book; a serious lapse, I know. The movie version did affect my reading as I always pictured Emma Thompson as Elinor and Alan Rickman as Colonel Brandon. That's not a bad thing as they are both excellent actors, but even so . . . I prefer to be a little fresher. Mainly the story is about two sisters, Elinor and Marianne Dashwood, (love that name) who are beautiful but poor. Poverty seriously dampers their marriage aspects in a society which constantly talks about how much income a person has as the main criteria for marriage. Both are in love but there are heartaches and complications. In a society with such a regimented social culture, Elinor plays the game with skill and finesse, but the reader is able to know her true thoughts about the people she is so polite too. On the other hand, Marianne very seldom plays the game. She is much more selfish and self-centered. Obviously, I liked Elinor better and found Marianne's histrionics tiresome. This book was Austen's first and my least favorite. Don't get me wrong, I liked the book but Persuasion remains my favorite. Rated: 4
Posted by Framed at 7:55 PM

4 comments:
Carrie K. said...
Persuasion is my favorite Austen, too. Northanger Abbey is my least fave.
8/22/2008 12:13 AM
Charley said...
I've been meaning to read more Jane Austen for a while now (I've read only Emma), so perhaps I'll have to move Persuasion up on my list.
8/22/2008 12:37 AM
Tracee said...
Love your blog and blog name. I couldn't find an email for you, but wanted to see if you might be interested in reviewing books for me? If so, please email me at amateurdelivre at gmail dot com. Hope to hear from you soon and happy reading!Tracee
8/22/2008 6:07 AM
Stephanie said...
I'm so sadly read these days. Persuasion is actually my only Austen. That being said, I really loved it!! I've got to read more though. I feel like such a heathen!

No comments: