Monday, January 19, 2009

Johnny and the Dead by Terry Pratchett

August 3, 2008
It's always fun to listen to a Terry Pratchett book on CD. Richard Mitchley, the narrator, has a wonderful accent and does the voices for each character so well. Johnny and the Dead is a children's book that has a nice message couched in a well-told story with wonderful humor. Johnny Maxwell likes to take a short-cut through the cemetery where he finds, one day, that he is able to see and talk to the inhabits. Since the property has been sold for development, the post-living citizens and Johnny search for a way to save it from destruction. This results in some really bizarre occurrences with the alive and un-alive. While not as funny as his Disc-world series, the book is still a great read. Johnny is an amazing character. I just learned that this book is the third of a trilogy so I'll probably try to read the other two. But don't worry, it's a good stand-alone book also.
Rating: 4.5
Posted by Framed at 9:52 AM

6 comments:
Nicola said...
I love this too, thought it was hilarious. And I also didn't learn it was a trilogy until after I'd read it. Still haven't read the other two, maybe someday.
8/03/2008 12:49 PM
Bobbi said...
I love well narrated books - this one sounds interesting!
8/03/2008 1:13 PM
Booklogged said...
Sounds fun. Did you get this from the library?
8/03/2008 4:14 PM
Rhinoa said...
Rhis is one of the few Pratchett series I haven't read yet. It does sound fun and I hope to get around to it soon.
8/04/2008 2:31 AM
Framed said...
Nicola, this one is rated higher than the other two but still, I ought to read them all.Bobbi, you'll enjoy it.Booklogged, yes, it's from the library. I wish they'd get some more interesting books on CD.Rhinoa, Again, it's a fun read and you'll like it.
8/04/2008 9:33 PM
Charley said...
I've just started to get into Terry Pratchett by reading The Color of Magic from his Discworld series. He seems like an interesting guy, and I'll have to check out this one, too.

No comments: