Friday, January 30, 2009

From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil e. Frankweiler by E L Konigsburg


Challenges
Decades 1960
To Be Read
Young Adult
Book Awards

Mrs. Frankweiler writes a letter to her attorney explaining why she is changing her will. In the letter is the story of two extraordinary children and their great adventure: 12-year-old Claudia feels she is under appreciated and decides to run away. She quickly gets caught up in the planning and involves her younger brother, Jamie. Claudia is an organizational genius and Jamie is a future banker with his careful spending and saving habits. The two spend a week in the Metropolitan Museum of Art, sitting in on field trips and roaming around the museum and city. They discover a mystery which eventually leads to Mrs. Frankweiler, a very rich elderly lady. It's a wonderful story with two fantastic characters in Jamie and Claudia. In some ways, they are not typical at all, but in so many others, they act just like any other brother and sister. I especially enjoyed Mrs. Frankweiler's asides to the attorney as she tells the story.
Decades: The book was published in the 60's. That is very evident when the paid discuss their finances. They certainly wouldn't survive for a week on $24.00 in this day and age.
To Be Read: I first read about this book on Booklogged's site more than two years ago. It was one of the first books I added to my newly created TBR list which has since mushroomed.
Young Adult: Amazon puts the age group for this book at 9 to 12, but older teens and other readers will enjoy it also.
Book Awards: Konigsburg won the 1967 Newbery Award for Files and it is certainly well deserved. If I had read the book when I was young, I would have loved it.
Rating: 5
Posted by Framed at 9:44 PM

5 comments:
Carrie K. said...
This was one of my all-time favorites growing up! I must have read it 5 times. I read it to my daughter a couple of years ago, and she loved it, too.
8/23/2008 1:22 AM
Carrie said...
I just read it recently and loved it! It's very fun.
8/23/2008 9:17 AM
Charley said...
I haven't read this, but I've heard the title so many times. I hope to read it soon.
8/24/2008 1:33 PM
Jena said...
This was a favorite for teachers to read to us when I was in elementary school, and it was fun, but I wouldn't have chosen to read it beyond my 11th birthday--I was on to "bigger and better" books by then. (What a pretentious snob I was--in some ways, worse than I am now.)
8/24/2008 2:43 PM
SuziQoregon said...
I reread this one a few months ago for the Heart of a Child Challenge and thoroughly enjoyed it all over again. Still one of my all time favorites.

No comments: