Sunday, October 12, 2008

Fatal by Michael Palmer (Audio)

Friday, May 30, 2008

This book wasn't listed for any challenges. I just picked up the audio CD's at the library so I could have something to listen to as I traveled to Provo and back this week. I find listening to mysteries is a great way to stay awake while driving. And this book certianly kept me awake. At first the narrator seemed a bit monotone, but as the suspense built, he was able to add to it with his voice. And he did a pretty good job portraying the various characters. I did have some problems with parts of the narration being skipped. I'm not sure if that is a problem with my Ipod or with the original CD's. But even though I missed some large portions of the narrative, I was able to figure out what was going on and followed the story very well.
There are three different stories going on at first that all converge in the finale. Matt is a doctor in a small West Virginia town who feels that a mysterious condition that has afflicted several patients is being caused by carelessness at the local mine. Nicole is a pathologist in Boston whose roommate develops the same condition, goes insane and eventually dies. Ellen is a retired schoolteacher in Baltimore who has been selected to serve on a committee that researches the approval of a new super vaccine that will protect children from about twenty diseases. There is something sinister about the vaccine; and this becomes more evident as the story progresses. Like other Palmer books I have read, the suspense is great, the medical facts seem on target, and the romance factor is a bit stretched. I like his books and have three more sitting on my shelves to read.
Rating: 4
Posted by Framed at 8:00 AM

2 comments:
twiga92 said...
I read this book a few years ago and really enjoyed it. Palmer is one of my favorite authors for medical thrillers.
5/30/2008 12:39 PM
Booklogged said...
Didn't recognize the cover, but did remember the story. I enjoyed it, too. As I recall Candleman and I listened to it on a trip to Moab and Arches several years ago. I like listening to books on trips because it helps me remember the trip and the book better.

No comments: