Sunday, October 12, 2008

Water Song by Suzanne Weyn

Monday, May 26, 2008

Challenges
Spring Reading Challenge
Unlike most retold fairy tales I've read lately, this book has not magic just a bit of mysticsm. If I remember the tale, The Frog Prince, has a prince who has been turned into a frog waiting for a princesses kiss. Again, no frogs and no princesses. Still the story has a very interesting premise that makes up for the lack. Emma Winthrop is trapped on her family's estate in Belgium as World War I rages about her. An American soldier escapes from enemy troops by hiding in the well (he does hold his breath very well, that is the froglike characteristic) and Emma discovers him. To save him, they pretend to be married and kept hostage in the estate when it is taken over by Germans. The two quarrel and misunderstand each other, but you know where the story is going. While this certainly wasn't my favorite retold fairy tale, I appreciate the setting and how the story was modernized. The biggest fault in my eyes is that the book is a total romance; and I have a hard time with them.
Rating: 3
Posted by Framed at 7:58 PM

1 comments:
Booklogged said...
The setting does sound interesting, but I can easily pass on a romance.

No comments: