Sunday, October 12, 2008

Persuasion by Jane Austen

Friday, May 09, 2008

Challenges
19th Century Women Writers
Spring Reading Thing
I'm not sure that reading this book right after Sacred Cows was such a good idea. It took me quite a few pages to make the adjustment from Karen Olsen's straight talk to Austen's flowery and long-winded prose. But once I got into the rhythm of Regency England conversation, I really enjoyed this book. Anne Elliott is portrayed as the ugly duckling of the three Elliott sisters, but everyone seems to like her best. She certainly is not as self-involved as her two sisters are. Quite a bit into the book, we learn that she broke off an engagement to Fredrick Wentworth when she was persuaded that he was not good enough for her and would never be able to make his way in the world with her as his wife. Wentworth seems the perfect man and Anne suffers for years because of her failed love affair. The two come into contact again. Wentworth is a succesful sea captain and looking for a wife among close friends of Anne. The ending seems inevitable; and I saw a number of similarities to Pride and Prejudice. I enjoyed Austen's wit in her portrayals of the foibles of acceptable social interaction in her time. It's probably what I like best about her books. I still need to read Sense and Sensibility and Emma to say I've read all the Austen books. Does it count that I've seen the movies?
Rating: 4.25
Posted by Framed at 10:43 PM

10 comments:
Jeanette said...
Persuasion-One of my favorites, but wait! All of Jane Austen's books are my favorites! :-)No watching the movies does not count. You have to read them! :-p
5/10/2008 7:09 AM
Ana said...
Persuasion is my favorite Austen novel, by far. Anne Elliott is such a terrific heroine. I heartly recommend you to watch, if you haven't done so yet, the 1996 (I think) verion from BBC with Chiaran Hinds.
5/10/2008 7:53 AM
Literary Feline said...
I really enjoyed this novel too. I love Jane Austen's writing. I still have a ways to go before I can claim I've read all her books, but I'm working on it.
5/10/2008 9:12 AM
Becky said...
I'm glad you enjoyed Persuasion. It is my favorite Austen. I don't know if you're signed up for my Austen challenge or not, but for the purposes of that challenge at least movies do count :)
5/10/2008 10:27 AM
hopeinbrazil said...
Persuasion is a book that I did not like at first. When I saw the Amanda Root/Ciaran Hinds movie I saw Ann in a whole different angle. I've re-read the book several times now and it's one of my favorites.
5/10/2008 5:02 PM
Petunia said...
I reread this one a couple of months ago. It's not my favorite Austen but Anne Elliot is a character of quality and integrity. I watched the new Masterpiece movie yesterday. How disappointing. The Hinds/Root movie was much better.
5/12/2008 6:12 PM
Stephanie said...
Oh...I loved this book!! It's actually the only Austen I've ever read. But it was such a great story!! Anne Elliot is a great heroine!
5/13/2008 8:41 AM
Booklogged said...
I didn't read the book, but loved the BBC video. I tagged you for a meme, if you feel like doing it. Well, I tagged you even if you don't feel like doing it. But do it only if you feel like it. Good grief!
5/13/2008 11:44 PM
Tristi Pinkston said...
I think it totally counts! Like, totally! :)
5/14/2008 11:48 AM
Susan said...
No, seeing the movie is not the same as reading the book! sorry! there is so much more to the book (in my opinion anyway) and even though Austen translates well to the screen, some of her characterizations and comments are so spot-on and witty and ironic that they have to be read to be enjoyed. This is my favourite book by her, too. I love Anne! and her family is awful! Though, watching the movies is fun. You could get bonus points for that!!

No comments: