Monday, October 20, 2008

The Prizewinner of Defiance, Ohio by Terry Ryan

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Challenges
TBR
What's in a Name (Place)
Herd Cats Challenge
Book Around the States (Ohio)
This is the true story of a 1950's housewife who supports her family of a drinking husband and nine children by writing poems, jingles and sayings to win contests. It is a interesting look at that era and the contest business (which was organized and huge). Terry Ryan is Evelyn's fifth child and she provides an insider look into a family who really had to scrape the bottom of the barrel in order to survive. Quite often, Evelyn would win a check just at the crucial period. She won a washer and dryer just as the old ones gave up. The thought processes that went into creating a winning entry were pretty phenomenal. I enjoyed a look into the dynamics of this family and the creative and tenacious woman who kept them going.
Rating: 4.5
Posted by Framed at 8:28 PM

7 comments:
Jeanette said...
I read this a couple of year ago and really enjoyed it.
6/12/2008 9:27 PM
raidergirl3 said...
Did you know there was a movie made from this book? It was cute from what I remember. I had never heard of book or movie when I watched it.
6/13/2008 11:26 AM
Tristi Pinkston said...
I liked the movie, but never read the book.
6/13/2008 4:25 PM
gautami tripathy said...
THis is something I can read!
6/14/2008 1:02 AM
Carrie said...
I, too, watched the movie but have yet to read the book. Every so often someone writes a review of it and I click on the review to read it. I always leave thinking that I really do need to get around to reading the book! Yet again!Thanks for the reminder.
6/14/2008 1:31 PM
Petunia said...
I read this for my book group last month. I really liked both the book and the movie, though they aren't too much alike.
6/14/2008 5:35 PM
Laura H said...
I read this book recently and liked it alot.

No comments: