Monday, October 20, 2008

The Valley of Light by Terry Kay

Sunday, July 27, 2008

Challenges
Heard It Through the Grapevine
I read about this on Sage's book blog some months ago. It sounded like a pleasant reading experience so when I got the chance to mooch it, I did. The story is about Noah Locke, a gifted fisherman, who shows up in Bowertown, North Carolina (the Valley of Light) in 1948. When he returned from the war in Europe four years earlier, he found his parents gone and his brother in jail. So he spent the next few years traveling around the country and supporting himself by fishing and doing odd jobs. Immediately, Noah is accepted by the people of Bowerton, who are impressed by his fishing prowess and charmed by his quietness and hard work. He meets a widow and develops a friendship with her. Just when you think Noah has found a place to stay, a tragedy happens that changes everything.
I'm not into fishing at all, but this story is about so much more. Kay develops his characters deeply, bringing out humor, sadness, and caring in a beautiful manner. The writing is gorgeous, the descriptions lovely and the pace is as slow as sitting on the side of the bank waiting for the fish to bite. I can't believe I said that. I think fishing is boring and this book is decidedly not. Maybe I should compare it to slow Southern charm. I read that there are some biblical allegories here which I completely missed since I was not looking for the deeper meanings. On my second reading in the far away future, I will try to be more of a thinking reader. This time was purely for the joy of reading a well-written book.
Rating: 4.75
Posted by Framed at 9:15 PM

4 comments:
Les said...
My husband has read a few of Terry Kay's books (as has my mom) and I keep hearing great things about this author. This book sounds wonderful. I need to read it! I think my husband will love it, too. Thanks for the review.
7/28/2008 7:51 PM
Stephanie said...
If that isn't a glowing review, I don't know what is! I've never heard of this book, or even the author for that matter. But I will definitely put it on my list. It sounds wonderful!
7/29/2008 1:03 AM
Booklogged said...
Maybe this is why I haven't been blogging lately - too many books already lined up on my shelves and jotted down on lists! But I will be adding this one as it sounds so good. Candleman's been trying to find a good book to settle into. I think this sounds like one he'd like. Off to mooch.com...
7/29/2008 6:22 PM
Carrie said...
Oh well this sounds very nice. Thanks for the mention of it.Unrelated note: totally enjoyed your "I heard it through the grapevine" thing on your sidebar. I used to LOVE the CA Raisins. ;D

No comments: