Monday, October 20, 2008

Too Soon to Say Goodbye by Art Buchwald

Thursday, June 05, 2008

Challenges
In Their Shoes
To Be Read
Non Fiction 5
Art Buchwald was a celebrated politcial satirist and humorist. In February, 2006, after having his leg amputated, he decided to forego life-saving dialysis and checked into a hospice to await his death. Five months later, his kidneys began functioning again and he left to live out his life at Martha's Vineyard. This memoir tells about his five months in hospice interspersed with vignettes from other periods of his life. I believe I would have liked this book better if I was more familiary with Buchwald's brand of humor. It is very dry and pretty biting; and I felt like I just didn't get it. There was a lot of name-dropping. Buchwald obviously was friends with some very important and famous people. And he certainly was vocal in his dislikes and grudges. Sometimes I did enjoy his humor but not nearly enough for such a short book. I did get an idea for a meme for my other blog. I'll have to remember to do that soon.
Rating: 3

No comments: