Sunday, October 12, 2008

Making Money by Terry Pratchett (audio)

Friday, May 23, 2008

I have been listening to this audiobook for months. That's probably not the best way to listen to a Pratchett book since my experience is that there are a lot of characters and lots going on so it's best to keep on top of things. I did finally catch on to this book and I think I have a pretty good bead on most of the characters. On my way back from Salt Lake to day, I was able to finish listening to it. It is hilarious. I'll try to give you an idea but pardon me if I spell the names wrong.
Moist Lipvig is the postmaster of the city of Ankmorpork (sp). His life before that is shadowy. He was known in his former life as Albert Spangler, and petty criminal and bank robber and was nearly hanged. Having survived that, Lord Vetinari, the tyrant of the city gives him the job of postmaster. Moist does a fantastic job of turning the operation around and Vetinari decides to give him the job of managing the city's main bank. He inherits a dog, Mr. Fusspot, who inherits the controlling shares of the bank and then has to protect the dog from the othe heirs of the estate. One of those heirs, Cosmo Lavish, not only wants to destroy Moist but also wants to become Lord Vetinari. Then there is Moist's girlfriend who is works for the Golem's Trust and protects the golems from exploitation. Gladys, Moist's golem assistant, is particularly side-splitting. There is much more happening, (I didn't even get into the printing money part) more strange characters and the courtroom scene is so funny, I almost had to pull over to listen to it. I am definitely going to have to read more of Pratchett's books but the narrator of this audiobook did such a delightful job of capturing the different voices and giving them such great nuances that I can't imagine reading can be better.
Rating: 5
Posted by Framed at 10:46 PM

5 comments:
Rhinoa said...
I enjoyed Going Postal which is the first book about Moist when he manages the post office and am waiting for this to come out in paperback (I might cave and pinch my husbands signed hardback when he isn't looking!). It sounds like Pratchett is on good form and I am looking forward to reading it. Thanks for the review.
5/24/2008 3:03 AM
Rhinoa said...
I enjoyed Going Postal which is the first book about Moist when he manages the post office and am waiting for this to come out in paperback (I might cave and pinch my husbands signed hardback when he isn't looking!). It sounds like Pratchett is on good form and I am looking forward to reading it. Thanks for the review.
5/24/2008 3:03 AM
Stephanie said...
Ok. That's it. I've got to read some Terry Pratchett. I keep saying that, but I really have to!!
5/25/2008 12:36 PM
Booklogged said...
Looking forward to reading this one and all Pratchett's books.
5/26/2008 12:50 AM
Nymeth said...
I really need to read this one. It's been eyeing me from the shelf for a while now. I'm very glad you enjoyed it!

No comments: