Sunday, October 12, 2008

Sacred Cows by Karen E Olson

Thursday, May 01, 2008

Challenges
What's in a Name - Animal
1st in Series
Book Around the States - Connecticut
Annie Seymour is a cop reporter in New Haven, CT, the home of Yale University. She is having a sort of relationship with Tom, a homicide detective, but during the course of this book, she develops an attraction for Vinny. She remembers Vinny as a science geek from high school, but now he is a Frank Sinatra look-a-like private eye hired by Annie's mother's law firm. All of this relationship angst plays around the murder of two Yale co-eds, and Annie just wants to get the scoop. The murderer is known early on so the main plot is how Annie, Vinny and Tom capture him and prove the case.
I was really in the mood for a good mystery. Unfortunately, this one did not satisfy me. None of the characters were terribly appealing to me, the profanity was over the top, and the sexual inuendos sophomoric. I'm probably being harsher than normal but I was pretty disappointed. The cow sculptures displayed around the city play a small part in the story, very small. In the end, this book just wasn't for me.
Rating: 2
Posted by Framed at 9:56 PM

5 comments:
Terri B. said...
I read this one for 1st in a Series too. I wasn't overly impressed either. I wanted to like it more than I did.
5/02/2008 5:35 PM
Bookfool said...
Oh, that's interesting! The other review I read was so positive. You've mentioned things that turn me off (sexual innuendo and profanity). I'm not much of a mystery reader, but those things definitely can ruin a read for me. It depends on my mood, I guess.
5/02/2008 7:54 PM
Joy said...
I think I rated this one a 3.25/5 and I was being gracious. I agree 100% with your reasoning.
5/03/2008 1:45 PM
Booklogged said...
One good thing about reading this book is that you don't feel compelled to read any more in this series.
5/03/2008 7:45 PM
Liz said...
I'm so disappointed -- this one looked like it really had potential. It looked and sounded amusing, which can be a really under-rated kind of mystery. For example, I recently read "Landmark Status" by Alan Rolnick. Think Carl Hiaasen and Dave Barry and you'll be close -- and like Hiaasen, Alan Rolnick has set this book in Florida, complete with people who want to pave paradise to put up a parking lot, so to speak. (In this case developers want to knock down a notorious nightspot to bury it under a fabulous high-rise.This is a laugh riot -- I was hooked from opening wrecking ball to final explosion.

No comments: