Sunday, October 12, 2008

Peter Pan by J M Barrie

Sunday, April 27, 2008

Challenges
Decades 1900
Young Adult Challenge
Once Upon a Time II
Spring Reading Challenge
The orignal play of "Peter Pan" was written and produced in 1904. He then published Peter Pan in Kensington Gardens in 1906. The book Peter and Wendy which later became Peter Pan was published in 1911, so maybe I'm cheating by using this book for the 1900's but so be it. My version also contains the final chapter called "Wendy Grows Up" which wasn't added until 1957. My book also contains a biography of J M Barrie. It seems he was a very interesting and ecccentric man. The movie with Johnny Depp insinuates a romantic conection between Barrie and Mrs. Davis, which would have been completely out of character for the real Barrie.
Grace Isabel Colbron wrote in Dec, 1911:
Peter Pan has come to us again, Peter Pan, who was neither all a boy nor all a fairy, but something of both. He comes to us in a book which is neither a boy's book, nor a girl's book, nor a fairy book, nor anything but just a book which is a delight for everybody. And now that we meet him in Barrie's charming story, Peter and Wendy, we realise that this dainty conceit is too fairy-like to stand the necessary artificiality of the stage, too frail not to be harmed by impersonating in human shape.
The slow unfolding of the tale possible in a book, the myriad delicious details that had to be sacrificed to drama needs, surround our old friends Peter, Wendy, John, Michael, Nana the faithful nurse, the Lost Boys, the terrible Hook, the fair Tiger Lily and her Redskins, sentimental Smee, with a setting which brings them nearer to us, makes them the more human because no other human prsonality comes between them and us. What delight to have them in such shape that we can slip them all under the pillow at night and take them out the first thing in the morning for a stolen chat! And so many lovely new things to learn about them. Did we ever know before that Peter's greatest charm, the one which won him the hearts of all women creatures young or old, was that he had all his first teeth? And of Mrs. Darling, who walks through a few scene in the play, a meaningless figure, we hear that she is in reality a lovely lady with a romantic mind and a sweet mocking mouth.
I loved that review. It expresses my thoughts so well. There are so many things in the book that we don't know if all we've seen are the play or the movies. Peter is not nearly as likeable unless you are one of the children he spirits away to Neverland and much younger. Although arrogant, selfish, and self-centered, it is his cockiness that makes such a great enemy of Capt. Hook. Plus there is a lot of killing and I don't remember any of that. The fairies and mermaids are pretty spiteful, the children are hungry quite often as they don't pretend as well as Peter; and Captain Hook is a much more developed and multi-layered character. And all of those reasons just add to the wonderment of this book. It is darker and deeper than I ever imagined. A must read. I'll share one delightful quote with you.
"When the first baby laughed for the first time, its laugh broke into a thousand pieces, and they all went skipping about, and that was the beginning of fairies."
Rating: 5
Posted by Framed at 11:07 AM

14 comments:
Andi said...
Thanks for reminding me that I never read this book . . . I need to. When I was in England, in the Cotswolds somewhere but can't remember the exact house, my program director told a story about Barrie seeing a twinkle in the window while he was watching a cricket match - that twinkle became Tinkerbell. I love that tidbit. Thanks.And thanks for commenting on my blog, too.
4/27/2008 5:33 PM
Lisa said...
I guess I need to find a copy of the book, I'm really disliking the movie. I know Disney changes everything, but in the Disney version everything is horrible. The Dad is a jerk, Tinkerbell is worried about the size of her hips, Peter is a self-centered frat boy, they are all so mean to the other kids, etc etc. Granted, I also am forced to watch it as often as possible by the pirate lover in my house so that may contribute to my dislike of it.
4/27/2008 6:34 PM
Booklogged said...
I didn't like it as well as you. There was something unsettling about it that I can't quite put my finger on - none of the things you mention, but something vague. I may never figure it out.
4/27/2008 7:00 PM
Nicola said...
Glad to hear you liked this! Unfortunately, I had the opposite reaction. Too smug for my liking.I just love the way you can read one book and hit 5 or more challenges! You must be a challenge pro. Hats off to you!
4/27/2008 7:05 PM
Trish said...
You are just truckin' along with these challenges! I've always loved this book, but I really need to re-read it. I loved going to Kensington Gardens and seeing the Peter Pan statue--such a beautiful place to spend the afternoon.
4/27/2008 8:29 PM
SuziQoregon said...
I didn't love this. As an adult reader it was a fun adventure, but I'm not sure I'd read it to a child. Lots and lots of killing and I really didn't like Peter much at all.I am thoroughly enjoying the first of the 'Prequels' written by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson, however. I'm about halfway through listening to Peter and the Starcatchers and having just a wonderful time.
4/27/2008 9:29 PM
Joy said...
I have never had an interest in reading Peter Pan. I'm glad to see that you loved it, though. I guess it's not a classic for nothing. :)
4/28/2008 6:12 AM
Cassie said...
I don't really remember how I felt about Peter Pan other than how different it was from the Disney movie but I guess those movies are completely different but I think I found it refreshing. I'm tempted to read it again to remind myself. I'll have to pull out my copy from somewhere.
4/28/2008 9:03 AM
Nymeth said...
I love this book, and I need to revisit it sometime soon. I'm glad you enjoyed it as well!
4/28/2008 9:52 AM
Rhinoa said...
Your version sounds lovely. Have you seen Finding Neverland? It's a lovely film with a romanticised version of JM Barrie, but definitely worth seeing. I need to re-read this, it's been far too long.
4/28/2008 1:33 PM
The Never Fairy said...
Hey there!I thought you might like to know about a new Peter Pan book that is coming soon...Though things like "Peter and the Starcatchers" are wonderful adventure tales, the fact is they contradict the facts of the original stories by J.M. Barrie.But this new novel does not...in fact, it's based on his notes for the continuation of Pan's adventures...Click on my name for the announcement page!Believe!
4/28/2008 3:31 PM
Stephanie said...
You know, I don't think I've ever actually READ the book, Peter Pan. But I just love the story so much. I loved it!!
4/28/2008 9:24 PM
Heather said...
I've never read this! Adding it to the Mountain.
5/08/2008 6:24 AM
Jeane said...
I really like this book, though I don't remember it being as dark as you describe. The quote you include at the end is one of my favorites!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this great article. It's great to see someone so into Peter Pan.

You might like the new novel that's out. It's a Peter Pan adventure that's VERY different from the rest.

Check it out:
http://www.peterpansneverworld.com/