Monday, October 20, 2008

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith

Thursday, July 24, 2008

Challenges
Classics
Herd Cats
I have put off reading this book for so long because I thought it was going to be depressing. I was wrong. This is a story about Francie Nolan growing up in Brooklyn in the early 1900's. Her father is alcoholic and her mom works at cleaning tenements. Sometimes there was nothing to eat, clothing was worn out, and she did not fit in with other children. Even so, Francie is as tough as the tree growing in a small square of sour ground. She finds escape through reading and writing. At the age of fourteen, she has to quit school, find a job and help support the family. Her mom is determined that the younger brother will be a doctor so he stays in school. By the time, Francie is seventeen, she has managed to get accepted to college and this is where the book ends. Even though Francie and her family live in tough times, they are a close family and find ways to enjoy their life. I thought it was a great book and really enjoyed reading it. To make it even more meaningful, I was reading a copy that belonged to my paternal grandmother. She signed her name and May 14, 1944. How neat is that?
Rating: 4.25
Posted by Framed at 4:26 PM

6 comments:
Lynne said...
This is one of my favorite books. One I could read over and over again. I saw the movie which was done probably back in the late 40's or early 50's. Not as good as the book.
7/24/2008 5:52 PM
Nicola said...
This is one book I've always meant to get to but never seem to get around to it. I don't even own a copy at the moment. I'll have to rectify that!
7/24/2008 7:19 PM
Trish said...
Well, that makes me feel much better about defiling my books by putting my name in the covers after I've read them (along with the date). I have a few copies signed by my great aunt and her first husband (who died in WWII) and I treasure those books. Glad you liked this one! I recently read it as well.
7/24/2008 7:44 PM
Bookfool said...
Oh, that is so cool. How special to have a copy signed and dated by your grandmother!!!
7/26/2008 7:34 PM
Cath said...
Just reading this myself. Loving it.
7/27/2008 5:21 AM
Charley said...
This is one of my favorites. It took me a while to get through it, but I thought Francie Nolan was just so wonderful. She has become one of my favorite protagonists of all time.

No comments: