Sunday, October 12, 2008

An Ocean of Air, Why the Wind Blows and Other Mysteries of the Atmospher by Gabrielle Walker

Friday, May 30, 2008

Challenges
Spring Reading Challenge
Non Fiction 5
I read about this book on Jill's blog (I really need to keep more information on where I get my recommendations) and she absolutely raved about it. Enough to overcome my reluctance to read what seemed to me to be a science book. Granted, there is a lot of scientific information in the book and I did not understand half of it; but Walker presents the facts in such a wonderful way that I was completely engrossed. More than science, this book gives the history of the study of the earth's atmosphere and the people who developed theories and equations and how they learned what they did about the ocean above us. I was totally engrossed in the men (can't remember any women) and their motivations and personalities and the chain of events that led to such mind-boggling discoveries. Some of these people were eccentric, some shy and retiring, some bombastic; but all had a natural curiousity, a thirst for knowledge and brilliant minds. I learned so much these scientfic explorers and about the air around us, how it works, how it sustains life and how it protects life. Absolutely fascinating, well-written, and thought-provoking.
Rating: 5
Posted by Framed at 8:14 AM

5 comments:
Joy said...
Glad to see that you had a great non-fiction read! Don't forget to link it on Mister Linky. :)
5/30/2008 11:58 AM
Carrie K said...
I think that's one of the draws for me to non fiction - it's not just stuffy particular research, it's the passion, thought and leaps that went into most discoveries.
5/30/2008 4:26 PM
writer2b said...
Same for me... If it's somehow incorporated into a story, factual material is so much easier for me to absorb. This book sounds like it succeeds.
5/31/2008 5:48 AM
Booklogged said...
You've convinced me to read this one. I'll have to wait for my non-reading mood to lift, tho.
5/31/2008 5:09 PM
Bookfool said...
That sounds like a really fun read! Thanks for the review!

No comments: